Feed Tri Valley – Food Drive
July 9 – 22, 2018
Tri Valley residents are encouraged to think locally and give locally to support our friends and neighbors in the Tri Valley. Though most people think of the homeless and hungry during the cold winter months, food providers consistently struggle to maintain adequate groceries during the summer. All donations will go directly to local food providers in the Tri Valley such as Interfaith Sharing, Open Heart Kitchen, Tri Valley Haven, Valley Bible Church and other local food pantries.
Public Donation Sites:
- Livermore – Pleasanton Fire Department* – 3560 Nevada Street, Pleasanton
- Pleasanton Senior Center* – 5353 Sunol Blvd, Pleasanton
- Pleasanton Public Library – 400 Old Bernal Ave, Pleasanton
- Town Center Books – 555 Main Street, Pleasanton
- Dublin Senior Center* – 7600 Amador Valley Blvd, Dublin
- Dublin Civic Center* – 100 Civic Plaza, Dublin
- Shannon Community Center* – 11600 Shannon Ave, Dublin
- Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc. * – 5160 Hacienda Drive, Dublin
- Livermore School District Office* – 685 East Jack London Blvd, Livermore
- Caraway Indian Cuisine* – 1536 N Vasco Road, Livermore
*Will accept grocery store gift cards
Recommended Food Items – Please non-perishable, unopened food only!
- Canned fruits & vegetables
- Canned chicken/tuna
- Peanut butter
- Canned soup
- Canned pasta Sauces (enchilada sauce, spaghetti sauce)
- Individually wrapped energy/granola bars
- 4 oz juice boxes
In 2016, the “Feed Tri-Valley” initiative was begun by local food providers, together with the tri-cities of Pleasanton, Dublin, and Livermore. With a mission to address local hunger via education and donations, nearly 4,000 pounds of food was collected this past July via barrels situated at businesses around the community.
With health issues that stem from children’s hunger, the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health reports that 19% of children in Alameda County do not know where there next meal will come from. This includes 4,335 children who are eligible for free and reduced lunch in Pleasanton, Dublin and Livermore. (California Dept of Education 2015/2016).
With the Tri-Valley food consortium serving thousands of people locally each year, Feed Tri-Valley has been established as an annual event. “We’re hoping to educate the community about the problem of local food insecurity,” said Ann King, Tri-Valley Haven’s Executive Director. “Thousands of Tri-Valley residents struggle to put food on their tables, both in the summer and during the colder months.” Consequently, Feed Tri-Valley will be instituted at some businesses year-round, with a concerted effort July 10th though the 23rd; labeled collection barrels will be situated throughout the community
What is Feed Tri Valley?
The mission of FEED TRI VALLEY is to be part of a larger movement to end hunger by educating and soliciting donations to feed this local community. Feed Tri Valley includes Tri Valley Haven, Open Heart Kitchen, Interfaith Sharing, City Serve of the Tri Valley, Valley Bible Church, Cites of Dublin, Livermore and Pleasanton.